Friday, October 27, 2006

New York, New York. It's a Hell of a Town

I'm getting tres excited about moving up to New York. I'm checking craigslist and checking it twice. Aja and I have met up with Greg and deemed him an excellent future roommate. He's a hairstylist and will begin working in Frederic Fekkai's 5th Ave hair salon on November 1. He's a really nice, cool guy and we're lucky to have him. He's going to be looking for places up there while Aja and I look for places from down here. We're hoping for Park Slope, Brooklyn. I hear good things about it and I don't think I could really live in Manhattan. It would get exhausting, not to mention expensive.
So for that reason, at the same time I'm getting a little nervous about money. Or my lack of it. I've got some saved up and I'm adding to it often, but I won't have as much as I'd like. And I think it's making Aja antsy. She's been asking me about it and I don't know what to tell her, that I'll risk being broke and working two jobs in order to move up there? I don't think she understands how much I am determined to at least give this a shot. And I also don't think I realize how much New York could eat me alive. Or, well, I do. I just don't want to think about it. Because if I think about it too much I'll never have the nerve to actually do it. And I have to do it.
I have to throw myself off that cliff so that I can find out who I become in midfall. If that metaphor makes any sense to you. I have to take this chance and I don't want to take her down with me but I will do whatever I have to to try.
I'm really conflicted though. I don't know where to start looking. I don't know if I should just hope for some random PA jobs and work my way up to the movies that I want to work on or if I should intern in a production company for a while. I don't really want to do that if it will be at all like my last glorious experience. But that might be the best way to get into the work I want. I'm learning about some internships with companies I like and I'm researching restaurants in the meantime. I just don't know where I'll end up. At times that is exciting and at times it makes me want to throw up. But isn't that how you know you're really living? At least that's how I know. The throw-up taste in the back of my mouth.

No comments: