Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ch-Ch-Changes. (Is the worst Bowie song ever.)

The only thing that could make this day lazier is if I had smoked a big fat blunt.
The only two constructive things I have done all day are: 1) Put my new registration stickers on my car and 2) almost complete a crossword puzzle. And listing that as something constructive is really stretching it (incidently, who is the former netman, Nastase?).
And I did agree to work as the Assistant to the Production Coordinator for the Kennedy Awards. That was productive. Although all I really did was call them back. Aja recommended me and gave them my number.
See, that's why I'm moving up to New York with her. Because she finds me jobs. I don't have to actually do any work.
For the past week I've been trying to build up my confidence to cold-call some production companies in New York and find out about some internships with them. It seems like a fairly easy task but it's one I've been putting off for days. Why? I don't know. I certainly want to work with them and I certainly don't have any other options coming out of the woodwork calling me up. I guess I'm just nervous that they'll be mean and unhelpful. But then, I think, how mean can they be to me over the phone? What can they really do to me? Other than not give me an internship, not much! So I think that and then I don't do anything about it. Well, enough! I am going to do something about it! Tomorrow...Seriously.

Yesterday I got my hair cut in Dupont by my friend Jackie. It's much shorter and darker than it has been for a while. I like it. It has bangs and is shaggy and cute. It even has this cool, tomboy look about it and it's pretty impossible not to look cool in it. Before my appointment I walked around Dupont for a little while soaking up the rainy, cool but not cold fall in D.C. I wanted to keep this memory of it saved in my mind. When I was driving across the Roosevelt Bridge and looking at the Jefferson Memorial and the Kennedy Center on my left I couldn't belive I was actually, willingly giving this up. I love this city. One of my absolute favorite moments is coming around the curve on the bridge and seeing the Kennedy Center appear. I get such a rush from it. And then, farther along, the Watergate building and beyond that, Georgetown's cathedrals.
I'm excited about the changes that New York will bring and the fact that I will be living on my own and hopefully working on films and living my dream, but I can't believe I won't be seeing this on a regular basis. It makes my heart hurt a little to think that these familiar, strange streets aren't going to be the ones I call home anymore. I won't see the chess players in Dupont or the steam rising from the underground vents at the corner of Constitution and 15th in the lamplight, against that formal building. I won't see the familiar, Neoclassical buildings anymore or the rundown edges along the Capital building.
Every move affects me like this. When I moved from North Carolina I couldn't imagine that I would care at all about this grimy, fast paced city but now I've come to embrace the idiocy that makes up Washington wholeheartedly. It's an insane place with incongruities and strange juxtapositions. It's a place where change happens constantly and yet, not at all. Despire all its faults and streets that make no sense I love it and I hope one day when I return it will love me too.

No comments: