Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Kennedy Center Honors

I'm working in the production office of the Kennedy Center Honors show. The room we are working from is a ballet rehearsal room. A long table cuts through the center of the room. Partitions separate the script area from the talent and production. On the other side sit the production and travel coordinators. I sit in the center. Right now it is sparse and quiet but soon it will grow loud and busy. I will be spinning through it madly. Or so I'm told. I am a PA or a glorified receptionist. I have two volunteer women working for me in shifts. I get to boss them around. They answer the phones and to me. They ask me if they can go to the bathroom and I look confused. They're twice my age, or more and I'm telling them what I need done. It's very odd. Having power is not something I'm ready for. Especially in this field. I hardly know what I'm doing myself. But there are perks. Like yesterday:
As I walked out of the bathroom I heard the sounds of horns and the clash of a cymbal. If I hadn't been in the basement of the Kennedy Center I would have thought the Apocolpyse was upon me. Instead I wondered if this was the music they pipe in to make us feel more artistic, seeing as we're working in a performing arts center. Where was it coming from?
I took a left and followed my ears. Down a corridor was an open door. What words could be more exciting? Down a corridor was an open door. Beautiful music was pouring out. Things are going to happen...
Music billowed out of the room and through a crack in the door I could see a man seated in front of a black music stand. he had a trumpet in his hands. I didn't venture any further, not wanting to disturb anyone, wanting to keep this secret for me.
That is what working at the Kennedy Center is for me. A secret to explore. It is the first building in Washington I loved. Coming across the Roosevelt Bridge and seeing it, white in the light and its golden pillars gleaming still gives me a thrill. To be working inn the recesses of it is like a childhood daydream come true. It is like peeking under the skirt of the queen. The building is so elegant on the outside and always busy underneath. This is part of the reason why I want to be involved in this business, to peek behind and be part of all the effort and to see what goes into the glamour of it, to see the rehearsals and hear the music erupt from people who are doing something as simple as practising.

No comments: