Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What Do We Want? Help!

Sofia and I just went to see 'Sicko', the new Micheal Moore movie. Oh my god, this should be a national requirement. It's so subversive it's like stumbling across a pot of untaxable gold. I sat in the theatre clentching my fists watching those lucky bastards the French, British, Canadians and Cubans laughing at our shitty health system. Every cell in my body screamed out "I want the fuck off this boat!! I want to go to England!" Get me the hell out of this country. How is it that we are the only, (ONLY, ONLY, There are no others) Industrial country that doesn't have universal health care? The poorest British citizen is in better health than our wealthiest because of the preventive and FREE care that their country provides. They understand that to take care of the problem before it begins, and to take away the burden of debt that lingers over the sick means their patients will either stay healthy, or get better quicker, and then be able to return to being a productive member of society. They aren't trapped in a cycle of poor health care and mounting debts. They don't have to choose between going to a hospital that is 'in the company's network' or the one that is closest. Dying on the way to the pre-approved network hospital isn't an option for these citizens. Their country actually cares about the well being of ALL of its citizens, rather than the ones that donate the most amount of money to the politicians' campaigns.

I propose a change. I refuse to vote for any politician that does not make these three topics part of their platform
1. Exit Strategy. Getting us out of the war, and rebuilding the country we've destroyed, in a peaceful healthy way should be a priority. We would save billions of dollars a month, not to mention the lives.

2. Global Warming. We can do a lot as private citizens but we could do so much more as a nation if our government would sign the bills that would help this along.

3. Universal Healthcare. Reforming our healthcare system is a necessity at this point.

All of these issues would show the American people that our government does care about THEM, not about themselves. We want a government for the people. That was our initial reason wasn't it? Somewhere along the way our ideals got lost and now we have a government that is for themselves. The point of democracy is to have a government that is afraid of the people and will work for them. This kind of candidate is the only kind I'm interested in. Once I've found him, or her I'll let you know.

I just wrote a letter to my Congressman and Senators telling them what I wanted. You can too. Do it HERE.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All three of these:
1. Exit Strategy.
2. Global Warming.
3. Universal Health-care.

I agree with you on all these. Let's vote Hillary into office just so we can see Bill planning White House social events, like a good First Laddie.

But you should be careful NOT to accept everything M. Moore says without a little more scrutiny. British NHS is good for emergency care but sucks at "improvement of life", such niceties as hip-replacement surgery, from what I hear.

Anyway. Hope to see you soon so we can compare notes & discuss the job hunt.

-- Dad

silver screen pipe dreams said...

yeah, that's probably true. But the people he interviewed, sitting in the waiting room said they were seen immediately, they didn't seem to be complaining.
But it is true, despite all the good things France does have going for it with their way of caring for their citizens they also have a lot of economic and employment problems these days, something Mr. Moore didn't mention.

etoilee8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
etoilee8 said...

And how 'bout lots more paid vacation days. . . I heard something crazy like France 4 weeks! Or paternity leave? There are quite a few things lacking over here and I'm just scaping the superficial edges. . .

silver screen pipe dreams said...

I totally agree. I wouldn't mind any of that. Or having a government employee who's job consists of helping out new moms with chores?? What kind of government does that? It's awesome.