Friday, March 28, 2008

Freedom From Work

I was reading one of my favorite blogs today- Girl's Gone Child and her post about her great grandmother's life made me want to immediately quit my bland office job in favor of sunny writing rooms in the Frank Lloyd Wright homes of Southern California. Yes, I know that that's not a very realistic version of what would happen if I quit this job, but it does harden my resolve to not remain in this gray office forever. Occasionally I look around me and am forcibly reminded of the Theodore Roethke poem, Dolor which only depresses me further. I think this desire to work in an environment that is more open, and creative is one of the very strong reasons I want to go back to grad school and become a professor. It is a way for me to have the creative and intellectual freedom that I want so much. Staying in this world is deadening. You lose too much of your spirit here. I cannot condone this career path. I want something else. Even if I have to be a wandering nomad to seek it.

No comments: