Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Freedom of Speech

Sometimes I write posts on here and forget they aren't in my own private world, or my notebook journal (which I really should start keeping again, much less trouble). That people might read them and disagree! I have a hard time with knowing what I should and shouldn't put out there. I know this cyberspace sometimes seems like an anynomous realm, but I learn all too often that it's a very small neighborhood.

So please, comment, criticize, take me to town on things, but know that when I post on here it is often out of frustration, passion or simple musings. They are opinions that I try on like clothes to see which ones fit me, which ones will stick. It is very common for me to feel like a retraction should be made, maybe I need an omsbudman to edit me. I don't disagree with what I write, but I often change perspectives. I think it over a little more and realize, with a flush of horror, that I wrote something for everyone to see that I don't want anyone to see. Or that I might have said something off the cuff that might have hurt someone I care about (a fact that was made all too clearly to me on Friday night). I'm slow, people! I spend so much time in my own head that I forget what it's like in other's heads, and it takes a while for that process to filter out things that I should restrain myself from saying.

Sometimes I say things and forget how they might be viewed, or how I might be viewed by them. I forget that you're not all in my head, that you have your own thoughts and opinions. And I know this sounds juvenile, like I'm a two year old that hasn't realized that other people still exist when they leave the room. I still want you to like me! Really like me!
I'm not saying this as an excuse, that you should ignore what I say because I don't really mean it, like some dumb ingenue that shouldn't be allowed to speak to the public. Or that I immediately disagree with everything I've ever said and flip flop like a politician. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on issues, where I belong, and how to censure myself enough that my friends don't hate me, but speak my mind enough that I have something to say creatively. Read this blog if you will, but don't hold it against me if you disagree. And I will try to leave the philosophical discussions that go on in my head out, but the amusing anecdotes of twentysomething life will remain. The only problem is NOTHING'S HAPPENING!

No comments: