Thursday, December 14, 2006

Updates

The Kennedy Center Honors didn't stop when I quit writing. After what seemed like hours I got to go down to the gala. I had been packing boxes and pulling up taped wires and contemplating rebellion and why I shouldn't be forced to do what I was doing, I was the receptionist for God's sake! Not a bloody PA. Although I was, sort of. I just didn't want to be one then. I wanted to go mingle with Washington's finest. Finally my boss let me go and I ran so fast I almost tripped on my wedges. I wasn't going to risk him calling me back. I got some drinks and hung out with the production crew who ended up shutting down the place at the free bar. Trust a TV crew to find free booze and not let go. We "mingled" a little, if you can call it that. The foyer was so jam packed with tables that no body was sitting at and no place to walk through that it was pointless trying to get to the honorees. Besides, all the good famous people were already gone. I wanted to see Dolly or Steven or Tom. Not even Josh was left around. Disappointing, since Sam, Aja and I had hatched a plan to get Josh to come hang out with us, younger people. I did say a shy, five-year-old's hi to Aretha Franklin who was sitting down fanning herself at a table that we inched past. I think she said hi back and I didn't know what else to say. Cee Lo from Gnarls Barkley said I was sexy as I passed him. I said thank you. He was definitely on something. But I did look sexy.

Anyway, that was basically the end of it. I came in on Monday and helped the Production Coordinators finish boxing things up and waited for the vendors to come remove what we had rented from them. Soon it looked like a dance studio again. It was hard to believe what once went on here. It would have been sad if I hadn't been so exhausted. I went home and straight to bed. I wasn't doing Christmas in Washington like most everybody else and I had an interview in New York on Wednesday. I would have liked to have written about the day before it and my nervous trip up to New York, getting lost in Maryland as I tried to take Route 1 all the way and avoid boring highways and ridiculous tolls but I was too busy doing it. So I'll just relate to you the outcome. I had my interview at Tribeca Productions and looked at places to live with Aja. It was exhausting and not very productive. We came back defeated and irritated. We're going to look for seperate places.
On Friday, the day after we returned I got a call from someone in New York. I didn't know what it could be. I thought it was a rental person returning our calls. It turned out to be a job offer from a company who would be filming the Super Bowl. They had gotten my name from a lady I had worked with at the KCH and wanted to know if I would like to be their office PA in New York while they were in Miami. It would be a five week gig. I was dumbstruck. I had no idea this lady would have been so kind as to has passed on my information. It was one of the sweetest, surprising gestures I have ever received. (Except maybe for the person who paid my toll on the Pennsylvania Tollpike because I had no cash left. Thank you. ) I told them I would love the job after thinking about it for a minute but that I was waiting to hear back about something else so I wasn't certain wether I could or not. She said she would write my name down as though I was, just in case.
Now I have a bit of a delimma because I got a call from Tribeca last night saying they did want me as an intern. Great news lately, right? Then why do I feel so confused? I'm worried because I've got a paying job in a field related to the one I want and a non paying learning experience in the field I do want to be in. If I take the paid job will I forfeit the chance to work at Tribeca? Will this set me up for more television jobs when what I want to do is film? And is the Tribeca internship even what I really need to get where I want to be? Will they be kind enough to let me work around this schedule? Now that I'm writing this I feel like a complete jerk. How many people would like to be in my position right now? I have a paying job in a very cool city, one that I didn't have to lift a finger to get and an internship with a very prestigious film company. I'm going to quit complaining.

No comments: