Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Long Search

After three weeks of looking for an apartment I'm still searching. And I'm getting a little depressed about it. Nothing's been terrible. Some things would have to be compromised but they were all do able. But nothing that made me want to jump right in. People have been okay but no one that I thought I could be close friends with. And it's making me a little depressed. How is it that I can't find anything? Where are all these people coming from? And it's making me question myself. Am I friendly seeming or do I look like a snob. I know I've been told I do come off as stand offish but only until people get to know me. I'm SHY, people! I'm really one of the least snobbish people I know. And one of the most easy going. I should get testamonials from friends to send along to potential roommates.
It's also making me question where I want to live. Do I want to live in a railroad style apartment in Bushwick? Do I want to pay a little more for a place in the East Village? Is Williamsburg enough of a community that I would feel at home, and are there normal, cool people there or just hipsters? After a lot of consideration I thik I'm going to look mainly in Brooklyn. I'd love to live in the Lower East Side or Greenwich Village but i think for now I'm best off in Brooklyn. Maybe if I had more money or more friends I could live in the LES or Queens or something but right now Williamsburg looks cool and fun and sort of friendly. I'm looking at two apartments tomorrow night and if either of them feel good I'm going to beg and plead my way in. I just am so worried about finding a place in time. Last night I couldn't fall asleep for the longest time because I was worrying over the schedule of finding a place, moving my stuff up to New York from Reston and everything else. It always seems so much more complicated when you're trying to fall asleep.

On a more exciting note, My friend Kiran (and maybe Mike ) are coming on Thursday, so even if I don't get one of the places I'll have a friend for the weekend. Chris and his boyfriend might be down too. And Aja just IM'd me to see if she and Sofia could crash this weekend. I told them that maybe next weekend would be better for me so I might have friends up for two weekends in a row! So much better than going to the Whitney alone like I did on Sunday! These thoughts make the day so much brighter. That and yoga in the a.m. I'm feeling so healthy today. I had such a high I couldn't write a word until after lunch when a hand ful of Jelly Bellys brought me back down to a normal state of nerves.

1 comment:

etoilee8 said...

You'll find a place. Don't worry.