Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New York, For Real

I'm here in my office-for-a-while on W 36th St. Looking out of my window I see other buildings and offices and people going about their days. To my right is a building with cars on the roof. Cars! On the roof! I like the looks of the buildings. Old, my style. It's near Broadway and it's very busy down here. I'm glad. I'd hate to come to New York only to be working in a dingy no where building.
I took the Subway in today and wasn't properly paying attention because I got off one train and onto another and I should have just stayed on it. Instead I ended up on the wrong side of the city. Taxi!

I was a couple of minutes late but nothing to sweat. Everyone seems very cool and relaxed. I don't exactly know what I'll be doing but I'm excited to be here. At last.
I miss my family though. I talked to them yesterday and almost cried. Well, I did cry, but just a little bit. I'll get over it soon I think. I hope.
There's not much I can say right now. I'm still a little overwhelmed and trying to catch my breath. I think I'm starting to fit in though. At Grand Central Station there were lots of tourists and I was quite annoyed with them as they were in my way. But, I also got lost on the subway. Oh well, you win some and lose some.
The bus ride from DC was long and rainy. It was fairly quiet until the girl sitting diagonally in front of me got motion sickness and started throwing up. An hour before we got into the city. I was immediately transported back to elementary school, and started wondering when the janitor would come around with that horrible sickly sweet disinfectant.
The place where I'm staying is in Flatbush, Brooklyn. It's funny, I exchanged one cluttered house that was driving me crazy for another cluttered house that I can't complain about because it's a free place to stay. I like Sandy, the guy who's house I'm staying at. His wife is in Boston with their daughter and grandson. I think this will be a nice place to stay for a little while. Speaking of that, I need to start looking.

No comments: