Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Spontani -Tea



Yesterday, after we finished up a big project at work we got to go home. I got home at 1:30 on a beautiful fall, I mean summer, afternoon. As soon as I pulled into my neighborhood Aja pulled in behind me. She had recognized my car on the road. After changing my work clothes for playclothes I got an everything bagel with lox at Einstein Bagels with her and Ayana. I also got their green tea, Spontani-Tea, which would explain the spontaneity of the day. We went back to her house to eat our bagels and killed an hour reading magazines on her back porch. She started walking me home when we decided to stop by and see what Mark was up to, and bum a light for a shared cigarette from him.

Mark was playing Halo 3 when we knocked on his door and entreated Subi the dog to let us in. Sitting at the table he mentioned it was Paul's 31st birthday and he was sick. We decided we should do something nice for him. I think it was me who mentioned making cupcakes because I'd been thinking about them all day. So we found the recipe for Magnolia Bakery's cupcakes, made up a list and went to the grocery store.

Our cupcakes turned out delicious, and we iced them in Dusky Rose and Sky Blue. The icing melted onto them and they took on a strange, drippy glazed look. Once we added the black and white striped candles we bought we had cupcakes straight out of Tim Burton's Edward Sicssorhands.







Matt came home from work while we were taking turns cracking the eggs and beating the batter. Once we'd all gone home to eat something other than sugar we returned to take them over to Paul's.


The four of us show up at Paul's front door holding the lit cupcakes and knocking furiously. He didn't hear anything at first and he came down glowering, about to yell at us, when he realized the flames were birthday cupcakes. We came in and ate a few and got sick to our stomachs from so much sugar, but had fun. Paul was pretty happy because he'd been miserable and alone and sick all day. It was a nice way to end a spontaneous kind of day.

No comments: