Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'm In a New York State of Mind



I don't know what it is exactly, but this lovely weather we're having right now has put me in a New York kind of mood. Maybe I'm just imagining how everyone is probably out enjoying the weather, being nice to each other, taking walks along rain slick sidewalks. New York in the springtime is an interesting place. People wake up a little, realize they haven't died, or aren't being buffeted by chilling winds. The black trees start sprouting and the green comes back to the city gardens. People remember why they like the city, and are filled with hope again. Snow starts melting and dripping, and it's like the ice is melting off the frozen heart of the city.


I always fall for these false springs. I start getting spring fever and going a little mad, and then, just when I'm expecting green things to start pushing up from the dirt, snow comes and I'm left out in the cold. But when spring really does come, I will take a weekend and go up to New York, even if I'm all alone, to see the city go a little mad too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, it was great to see the happiness that the weather brought to new york the last few days - every1 seemed to have alittle jump in there step today. unfortunately im not looking forward to the backlash that the enevitable cold weather will bring with it