Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sunshine Days

Today is such a beautiful day that not even my dead car battery, watery eyes and earth shattering sneezes, tripping on the way into work and sore muscles from yoga can keep me down. Looking out of my large window onto the city below me I feel like one of my plants, soaking up the sunlight. Okay, that sounds cheesy, but it's springtime, I'm allowed to go a little crazy.

The only problem is, I know this mood won't last. I'll start to feel trapped in this office, trapped in the apartment, trapped by my finances. I need a plan in order to prevent this malaise to start creeping back up. I think by reading more, getting a library card for my part of town and checking out parts of Alexandria that I hadn't known about before might be a good way to start. I need to get out more, but I want to save money, not blow it on drinks and going out.
-Find a recipe for Sangria, make a bunch, invite friends over.
-Go to the waterfront in Alexandria (I got lost here a few days ago. It looked beautiful.)
-Have a card night, as suggested by a friend.
-Have a board game night. I'm totally into Scrabble. But Trivial Pursuit is good too.
-Hang out at Gravelly Point. This has actually been on my 'Cheap Things To Do' list for awhile, but now I live and work so close that it makes a lot of sense.
-Dan's Cafe & Joe's Saloon. I'm going out for a drink on Friday with a friend and haven't got much money. Saturday means another drink for a friend going away. More money I don't have. But searching through my trusty friend Yelp I came across these two diviest of dive bars. And they look awesome. I'm down for dives these days. And summer makes me all the more eager to go. So I'll go and check them out. Dan's comes highly recommended because apparently when you order a vodka tonic they hand you a bottle of vodka, a bottle of tonic, a bucket of ice and a glass and you get to make your own. Awesome.

Any more suggestions????

One other thing I'm excited about today is the research I did on my grad professors today. Both of them look very promising and I'm starting to look forward to taking their classes. One of them is currently doing research on Leo Tolstoy, who I am currently reading. Is this a sign? I think so. The other one has a blog all about being an ex-pat in Mexico. Yeah, I know, how does she teach at Mason and be an ex-pat? I think she does both part time. Anyway, here's a link to her blog if you feel like looking. She was just on the Diane Rhem show. http://livingethnography.blogspot.com/

Now get off this computer and go out and enjoy the weather for me!

No comments: