Monday, September 29, 2008

Top Ten Things that Inspire Me

Reading this blog I was inspired to create my own list of things that inspire me for those moments when the uninspiring aspects of life get me down. In my first try this is what I came up with.

1. A quality book - I believe that a good book can open your eyes and reaffirm beliefs. Those books can come in unexpected places.

2. Talented people who are also kindhearted - I admire people who have talent but are humble enough to know that isn't everything.

3. Spring - I am inspired by the renewal of life I see in the spring. And how it comes every year without fail, even when I think it might not.

4. Students who work hard - I am in awe of students who are disadvantaged but work hard in order to achieve their goals.

5. Underdogs - I believe that the underdog can make a difference, and that if we give up hope we might as well stop living.

6. People I met while travelling - I believe that meeting people from different cultures and listening to them makes you a better person.

7. My professors - I am inspired by the intelligence of my professors and their desire to share their love of the topics.

8. Music - I am moved by music and its social power.

9. Green initiatives - I believe green and socially responsible initiatives can save the world and our own humanity.

10. Movies - I am inspired to do great things when I watch great movies. And also when I consider how people were able to work together to achieve this communal art.

And here's 11 and 12, which I just thought of: I am inspired by people who sacrifice things for those that they love, and even those they hate.
I am inspired when I hear about people of two cultures overcoming their differences and showing kindness instead of hate in a war-torn country.

Lately I've felt out of sorts, wondering what I'm doing with my life, worrying about the future, graduate classes, weight loss and money. But things have changed a little. Or at least my outlook on them is different. It's hard to explain but I'm becoming more satisfied with going slowly and savoring simplicity. The weight of the issues are still there but it's easier to carry. With sadness comes great joy. I'm always a little confused by Americans' determination to be happy. Who said happiness is an inalieable right? Happiness comes and goes according to the day. It's superficial and fleeting. Joy, though? Joy remains despite the grief life can bring. Joy goes hand and hand with hope, the knowledge that though you might cry through the night relief will come with the dawn. Joy is what I'm working towards.

2 comments:

Peas said...

I do think happiness is a right, and something most people try to find. I mean real fundamental happiness, not fleeting superficial happiness. Happiness to me does not mean being over the moon all the time. To me it just means feeling calm and peaceful, at ease with ones life. I don't think it's an American thing. I think everyone wants to be happy, and I think it's everyones right to be happy. Just my 2 cents on happiness :)

silver screen pipe dreams said...

yeah, it is a right (the Bill of Rights says so), but I feel like sometimes people get so carried away by this idea that being happy means this manic superficial idea that they have of it and they don't understand that the calm ease with one's life is actual happiness. Not a smile because you bought the new shoes. And maybe I mean joy rather than happiness. Happiness seems fleeting and superficial in comparison to joy. Sorry, should clarify more. :)