Sunday, November 18, 2007

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old.

Last night I went out with The Designer, Matt, Mark, Jackson, Scarlett and Paul to Be Bar in DC. I didn't plan on going out, I went into DC to get my hair cut at Urban Style Lab where my friend Jackie works and then I hung out with Chris Nixon for the rest of the afternoon, going out to eat, hanging at the place where he's dogsitting. Then, I went to meet up with everyone in DC. I didn't plan on going out, but I always plan on looking good, so it wasn't too much of a problem, except that I was wearing my beautiful wedge heeled boots. Beautiful, but not practical for all night dancing. I also forgot my ID and wore the stylish XXX for the evening.

Be Bar is fun and pretty, and filled with pretty people, but not too pretentious, just a little pretentious. And, about 95% gay, as I was sad to discover. It was mostly gay guys and fruit flies. But the dancing was good, and the DJ one of the best. I had a great time despite my underage status.

After the bar closed the party continued. We made our way to Annie's Steakhouse, where we were greeted by the rest of the underground late night partiers in DC. When I went to the bathroom a coiffed drag queen in ruffled teal blue stepped out with a sneer, leaving me facing the toilet seat in its upright and locked position. "Thanks, lady." I muttered.

Jason, my new friend that I met at Be Bar, and I sat at the bar while everyone else, and some extras crowded around various tables. We exchanged life stories and made friends with the flaming bartender, Julio, who livened up the early morning crowd with his extravagant personality, and sang for us along with the stereotypical gay disco music playing over the speakers.

I love going out when I don't expect it, and making good friends in the course of a night. I love feeling like I fit into the decor of a pretty place, and I love looking at my friends and realizing that they are hot shit. It's vain, I know, but it's an ego boost that I used to never imagine possible. It's part of the fun of being an adult without yet acquiring most of the responsibilities. I love crawling into bed as the sky lightens, after dancing until my feet ache.

No comments: