Friday, November 30, 2007

Oh, Damn You, Dame Judi!



I just finished watching this movie, Iris, at work (It's quite nice to be able to watch movies at work). Kate Winslet and Judi Dench are very very good in it. Kate Winslet's joie de vivre is infectuous, I feel it in all of her work. Dame Judi Dench plays the vulnerability of losing one's mind to Alzheimer's so well. I think generally she's a very tough, sharp actress, amazing but formidable. Here she is tough and intelligent in the first half of the movie, but lost and alone towards the end. Always amazing.

Anyway, I didn't intend on writing a review of the film, I wanted to comment on how, when I see really great films, and actors working on something that you can see the love of their job and the creativity involved in the job, I get jealous. To watch Kate Winslet revel in the joy of words and emotions as Iris Murdoch, I wanted to steal her body, or just a little of her soul for a while. I want to experience the fulfilment of her creative drive that the movie so obviously brings her. I feel like I never find time to do the writing I want, to the extent that I want. And with that outpouring, I'm going to shut up and get to it. Nothing like a good film to get the envious creative juices flowing. And soon I'll be home for the weekend.

No comments: