Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thursday Morning Vacation

Last night as I was leaving work for my grad class I took two steps out of my office and slipped. I don't know if it was on the hem of my pants which still haven't been taken in, or the fact that the shiny linoleum is also slippery, but I busted the hell out of my $4 gray thrift shop heels. I limped brokenly down to the bus and called my mom. I call her whenever I want to whine and bitch and my friends don't want to hear it. Like when I get a paper cut on my way to give an oral presentation that I'm not prepared for, or when I tear my heels, both of which happened in about five minutes last night. She commiserated and asked if I wanted her to bring me a new pair. Ah, the perks of living at home!

But of course, since I was worrying about my oral presentation this gesture of kindness only served to annoy me when it was carried out. She texted me three times to ask what black heels I meant. I only have one pair. She brought three of my black shoes with her, two pairs of boots (neither of which have heels) and the one I'd asked for. When she got to the metro, and just as I was walking up to the car she pulled away, like she was playing some cruel joke. She said she didn't see me and was just moving out of the way for the other car, but I had my suspicions. Then she accused me of smoking, which was doubly unfair because for once I hadn't and had just walked past a man who was, so the smell lingered on me. At least accuse me of it when I actually have been! And when we stopped for dinner in the middle of rush hour and didn't go to a drive thru. I was convinced I'd be screwed, and by my own mother!

But once I got to class my mood improved. I didn't have to go first after all, as I had feared. And my kind professor had brought goodies for us all, including a bottle of wine. Why hasn't someone included wine in oral presentations before? Maybe because after I had only about an inch of wine I could feel it in my face, and started worrying that I'd be slurring my way through my speech. Fortunately, the tipsy feeling passed and I got up and speed talked my way through my ten minute presentation, coming in at 9:30, just as I'd timed it. I think it went well.

I gave myself the day off today--I'm still at work, but not worrying about anything. I'm going to do the crossword, read blogs, maybe watch some tv. I don't have too much actual work today so I'll be taking it easy. (Incidently, I'm really started to get annoyed by the TV companies who won't give in to the writers. Enough already! I want my Tina Fey back!!! The Broadway producers gave in, why can't you??)

No comments: