Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Slight Exaggeration of My Ruined Future

So there is a class I'd like to take next fall. It's Composition Instruction. Or, how to teach composition to students. Why would I want to take such a boring sounding class? Well because I've got it in my head that I can teach at NVCC, or the NOVA community college next fall. And because it would prepare me for all sorts of fun things like 'how to make a syllabus' 'how to record grades' 'how to plan classes'. All things I need if I want to teach at all, and especially if I want to teach next fall. A classmate of mine does this and I'm a bit jealous. So we've been discussing my options after class every evening.
Well registration began Monday morning at 9 a.m. And being the anal retentive grad student I am, I was sitting in front of my computer with the browser window up, all ready to go at 8:58 a.m. And being very impatient about it. I got the other class I'm trying to take next fall. But this one? ERROR. Apparently I need department permission to take this class. I write an email to the professor and call my lovely, lovely English department lady who solves all sorts of problems for us. She said it was for MFA students (who get all the sweet deals at Mason) this sememster. The other MA's get it in the fall. Well I tried to take it in the fall, it was filled. And incompatible with my schedule. She said if the professor let me in I could take it but it was up to her. Or him. Terry is a very ambivalent name.
So I sit and wait impatiently to hear back from the professor, all the time thinking of HOW THIS COULD RUIN MY PLANS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. Yeah. If I don't get this class I won't get the NVCC job, my resume will look weak, I won't have as much experience teaching as I'd like, I'll get rejected from all the PhD programs I want and end up at a subpar school, with a subpar education and land a subpar job. Ok, maybe I'm overreacting. But I REALLY, REALLY want to teach. Next fall.
I FINALLY get a response from her/him today. Basically saying it's for MFA only and I can just be patient and take it next fall. S/he didn't say that exactly but that's how I took it. So I wrote back in my most professional and polite voice that, yes, I understood it was for MFA, but as I have this teaching opportunity next fall at NVCC I think it would really benefit me NOW! and that I don't want to exclude anyone from the class but if it isn't full wouldn't she pretty pretty please let me take the class?
Next plan: cupcakes.

No comments: