Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Who Needs Sleep? Me.

You know how I said in a previous post that I'll sleep when I'm dead? Well, I think I might be dead, but I'm not yet asleep. It's only Wednesday but I'm already exhausted enough for about two weeks.
On Monday I went out with my friend from GMU, Alex, who works for CEI, a Libertarian think tank in D.C. I invited Mark along to meet another Libertarian, one who would actually enjoy arguing with him about obscure and unlikely happenings, and maybe help Mark in finding a job that he would like. We met up at this bar in Arlington that Alex goes to often and by the time Mark showed up I'd had two glasses of white wine and was now working on a gin & tonic. After four of those Alex suggested we all head back to his place with a 12 pack. I crawled into bed and the bus ride to work on Tuesday made my stomach quiver.
Tuesday, or Super Tuesday to some, meant another Libertarian event. Alex invited us to the Stupor Tuesday mixer at this magazine, Reason. I was hesitant to go being afraid of potential grilling and roasting since I'm an intellectual, bleeding heart liberal, but I'm a nice person, and it was a chance for Mark to meet more Libertarians, so I went, being the link between the two. And drank some more. I'm not a huge lush, please don't get that impression. But when someone offers I find it hard to say no. Maybe because I'm such a nice person. My mom can't say no to anyone either. I'm going to blame my upbringing on this one.
Whatever psychological default I'm blaming it on, I'm really tired today. I can't keep my brain ravelled around one thing. And I use metaphors like 'ravelling my brain around it'!My stomach hurts from two days of poor eating and excessive drinking and I need sleep. But, we're having a dinner gathering tonight, so I still won't get it. At least not yet. Maybe next week.
When I was in college I sort of mourned the fact that I didn't do the college things--drinking too much on weeknights and never sleeping. I stand corrected. I don't want to do that, I'm glad I didn't. But I wish I had found this out before I was required to be at work at a certain time.

No comments: