Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Death & Taxes

I  just paid $408, $408! for someone to do my taxes. Holy Fucking Shit. I don't know how I feel about that. And considering the fact that I owed  less money than that. Wow. The only way I can feel better about that fact is that I had tax forms for 2 different states, one of which is New York. As my taxman (I have a taxman?!) says "New York is pretty hairy." Don't I know it. I lived there for five months, never saw so much hair in my life. Or American Apparel V necked tees. 
And the fact that I get very confused by the intricacies of tax language. He was saying stuff and I wasn't understanding any of it. It was like watching my dad help me with my homework, only to let him figure out all the formulas for me. He'd say something and I'd just nod, "Sure, whatever you say must be the best way to do it. x + y - z = 5 ? I guess, why not? Let's go with that." 

But I'm getting some money back, from that sweet assed stimulus packet. Yeah, I think it's a dumb plan, but I also need a sweet assed computer. And the rebate I'm getting back is going to cancel out what I'd owe, so I owe nothing! 

So, why the discussion of taxes? I mean other than the fact that it's in the description of my blog? Is there any other reason I need to mention taxes? Because I'm a grown up. That's what it means. I don't know what it's actually like to be an adult so I judge it based on obvious and stereotypical cues that I think prove I'm an adult. How's it working? Am I getting more boring and deadened as this blog goes on?  

2 comments:

etoilee8 said...

I bet you could persuade my Dad to help you out next year, with a bottle of wine and maybe a gift card to Cafe Monmartre. . .

Peas said...

Yikes, that sounds like death. Only perk of not being able to work is not having to pay taxes.