Wednesday, December 05, 2007

We're Not in Kansas Anymore, Toto. We're in the Military!

One thing I've had to get used to working as a contractor for a military agency is the profusion of insider lingo. And I'm not just talking about the acronyms, although they're crazy about them. I'm talking about the different world of how things run in the military, and how they talk. All the insider jokes that I just don't get because I'm an outsider. It's a bit like not getting British humor, except the jokes are lame.
I've made numerous mistakes because we work with a couple different branches of the military, and their ranks all sound the same but they mean different things, and they're even written in different ways! For example, a Colonel that is written "Col" means he's in the Air Force, but "COL" means he's in the Army. As my boss says, 'the Army lives in capitals'. But I have no idea why.

And today, when I went to the bathroom I was strolling down the hall with my hands in my pockets when this man says 'You must be in the Air Force!' 'why?' I ask, confused. 'Because you're wearing Air Force gloves!' he says. 'But I'm not wearing any gloves.' I pull my hands out of my pockets to show him. 'I know! Your hands in your pockets are Air Force gloves!' He chuckles. I have no idea what this means. Why would hands in pockets signify anything? His badge had a lanyard that said U.S. Navy, so is this a little dig at the Air Force from a Navy guy? I asked my boss and he said it's because it's considered poor form to walk around with your hands in your pockets. Now where did that come from? And who cares? I'm not in the military, so why shouldn't I walk around with my hands in my pockets? It's not like I'm burning a flag, or not supporting my troops or something.

No comments: