Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Behold My Future...

Today I am working with my best friend of all time at a production in DC. We're right by the White House in the Hotel Washington. She's the assistant production coordinator and I'm a PA. Basically I've been running around for her today. I refilled her coffee cup three times and printed fifty copies of production schedules. I searched out black 24" bar stools for under $50. It was a desperate search until the coordinating producer decided to just chop the legs off the one we had rented and buy it. I made lunches for people who were stuck in the "truck"--the truck that basically works as the studio away from the studio. It's a dark, whirring, beeping trailer full of screens and buttons and wires that emanate from it, keeping it alive. I've hung out there before and watched as the TD (technical director) decides which camera gets screen time when. It's the work behind the screen that happens so effortless you don't even realize it when it's going well.
We are working in what is normally the restaurant part of the hotel. It has been turned into our production office until Friday. The hotel people come in and set up our meals and run our cords through the lobby so that we have internet.
It is a busy, bustling place full of problems and problem solving on your feet. People mill around asking questions and the nextel walkie talkies beep and chatter. I love it. I love making snap decisions and just making it work. I love it when things just click. This is what I hope our production company will be like in a few months. And I hope it will turn out like this, a bunch of people all working towards a common goal and trying to get things done on time and under budget.
It's all the things I love about waiting tables and none of what I hate. I love the comradery that exists on the set and the environment.
I want to do this for a long long time. I hope it works out with this company that I'm going to be working for because I want this feeling to continue.
I can just imagine how crazy a film set would be. This is just a few days and it's already a little harried here. A film set lasts for weeks and relies on many more people. If we interns are still running the show as we are now and not your typical PAs it will be quite interesting.

No comments: