Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Doing the Good Girl Rebel Dance

When I was in high school my teachers would occasionally start lecturing us on 'How To Get Into A Good School And Live A Happy Life'. After awhile I started tuning them out and thinking to myself, "I can figure this out for myself. This formula can't be the only way."
Now, my boss has been spontaneously lecturing us on "How To Get Financing For Movies". It's annoying because it will just be a normal conversation about our status and then he will launch into it and I'll feel ambushed while trying to keep my face in a listening/agreeing expression.
And the thing is, I've read a lot about making independent films and getting them made for little money. I'm not saying it's easy and you definitely can't get the same actors you can with money(unless the script is really good or your brother happens to be Spike Jonze), but you can get it done. And if you are lucky enough to get it into a festival you can get some distribution for it and make some money back. And you can build on that. Wes Anderson made his first movies for very little and was able to parlay that into more ambitious movies. He even did it with very little experience. DIY movie making is super hot right now.
So when my boss begins lecturing about movie making I start to do the good girl rebel dance. I keep my smiling expression on but slowly start thinking about how I would like to get a movie made and how I would use my friends' talents to help me out and that it COULD BE DONE! I KNOW IT! And then I start wanting to run out of the room shouting lalalalalalalala but instead I mutilate whatever is within my reach.
Maybe we'd get somewhere with it. I have enough confidence in my friends' creativity and my own. I know it's a long shot but it's something that I know I could be passionate about. More so than this pyschological/thriller/drama stuff that is so tired. I know that he is trying to make a big budget film here but I wonder if maybe a smaller one would have better success. It could lay the groundwork that is necessary for larger ones to come through. I know that larger ones could move like a glacier and create nice smooth patches for smaller ones but sometimes I think that smaller ones are better because they're like leaks in a dam; they go unnoticed until suddenly they're a multitude, instead of one giant one that crushes everything in its path. Besides, who gets excited over the next MI movie? Very few. Who gets excited over Junebug? Everyone. That's what I want to be part of. A creative force that invigorates the people around us rather than a vacuum that sucks all the creativity out.

No comments: