Monday, September 18, 2006

Jealousy

My co workers, Indieflickers and Christy, are going to Montreal on Wednesday. They are going to be put up in a gorgeous hotel and then meet with the VP of Production for a Montreal based Production and Distribution Company. We are hoping to close a mutli-picture deal with them. It will mean big things. I am hoping it works out.
I am also green, green, green. I don't know why they get to go and I don't. I want to go to Montreal!!!!! I want a free hotel stay in a beautiful city!
Indie and I were talking about it and we can't figure it out either. Is it because the two of us are only 23 and Christy has business experience from her real estate days and is older? Is it because my boss doesn't think I'm working hard enough? Was it because I was absent on Monday when he decided we were going and I just missed my chance?
I'm more resigned to it now but when they were planning it all out I felt like the little kid who got left out of the fun. I was trying to hide the fact that I was so jealous I could cry behind the fact that it's good for the company. I do want us to get this deal but it was really hard to pretend I didn't want to go. I did make it evident that I want to go on whatever trip might be up next. It may just be to Tokoyo to talk with the video game guys he's been dealing with. If so it would definitely beat going to Montreal (as much as I'd like to go there one day).

And now that they are sitting around having "Exec 101" I'm a little glad I'm not going. Sitting in meetings isn't my style. I don't pay attention well. I don't like talking business. Still, it's Montreal and a big deal. I'd love to be part of that big deal.

There's a great deal of pressure on them from our boss. He's lecturing them on what to say, what not to say, how to say things, what we want and even how to walk and look them in the eye. It really is a crash course in being an executive.

That's the thing I kinda like about this job. We came in as interns and in two months time we've become Associate Producers. We skipped right over the PA part of it. We might still have to play PAs later on, during production, but this stuff is great to put on my resume. Imagine, I can say that in the course of one film I started as an intern, helped to set up a company, ran PR and became an Assistant Producer. If we get this movie made I can get a decent job anywhere if this company doesn't continue.
I'd like to work on a set but there is always time for that. I'd like to write my own stuff but I have to keep reminding myself that knowing people will help me when I do write my own stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really really really like your blog. You are a good writer, much better than you probably realize. And very witty, too. I like everything you are doing with this BLOG but also everything you are saying about doing some work you want to do instead going to work in some damn "biz" job. I am very proud of you.