Friday, September 01, 2006

The Definition of Humility

"When you are older you will know that life is a long lesson in humility." -J.M Barrie

Well, it's been a few hours and that means I'm older. Old enough to know that life is a long lesson in humility.
That email problem I was having? Turns out I was having problems because I am a stupid, computer illiterate person and don't know how to fill in 'reply to' boxes with my email address. After berating the guy at the help desk who was NOT being helpful I found out it was my fault. I berated him. I told him "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE ASKING ME AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO FIND THIS INFORMATION. Why do you not get this?" I had asked him to treat me like an idiot. I was expecting some very simplified like:
"Type such-and-such. Now hit go. Now find the box that says 'cPanel' and type in your code. The code will be your name and company name."
Instead he has the gall to go and treat me like an intelligent employee who has been using computers all her life. How dare he!
I should have known not to be rude because it will only come back and bite me in the ass. I very rarely resort to rudeness because I think you get more results with honey than vinegar as the old saying goes. I'm the one in the office that everyone in the office makes call Verizon because I can sit through their idiocy and still sound as though I'm smiling. I never resort to rudeness because my years as a waitress showed me how uncalled for it is. I feel bad.

Now I have to send messages to people that I want to get publicity for our company from and ask them very politely to "please let me know if you are interested." I don't want to bother them but I don't know if they responded back to me or not. I feel very tiny and inconsequential right now.

No comments: