Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Intern

I'm feeling pretty fortunate about my job. I really like that we get to be creative and are free to do whatever we really want. I can write this blog. I can look at IMDB and pretend it's actual work. (Looking up who was in what movie is very important to me. I need to know.) I can read all about Suri Cruise and Kate (not Katie) Holmes' escape attempts. Oh, US Weekly, how is she supposed to run away if you publish her route? And is it really necessary to interview people as to the possibility of a helicopter landing on her lawn to whisk her away? Don't you have more important things to ponder?
But one thing that I do not enjoy about my job is translating. My boss is French. He is fluent in English but you wouldn't know that if you read what he writes. He is a novelist and a screenwriter. It would be nice if he could do this in English. But he can't. And I get to do it for him. Right now I am slogging through a novel that was originally written in French and then sent through what I can only surmise was an online document translator. As I was an English major it fell to me to go through and change things so that they make sense in English. For example; "It had its way with him of admiring or of scorning the things and could give you the insane laughter, to make you fall to the shift."
-translates to-
"He had a way about him of admiring or scorning things that could make you laugh hysterically and fall to the floor."
I get to go through and change all those sentences. And I do mean all of them. Every last one has at least some sort of edit. My boss doesn't seem to realize that and wonders why I've only finished 9 pages of a 78 page document. Oh my god. This will be my hell. I might as well call myself Sisyphus.
What does this have to do with film production you ask? So do I. I guess it has to do with my boss' business and this is part of it. He's a writer/screenwriter/director and a lot of what he turns into screenplays is what he's already written as a novel. I don't know where this one is going. Maybe because I only see it in the very rough draft stage it is now I can't see the good of it. Maybe that will change. I hope so. I would hate to think that I have wasted two months translating something that is so bad it will never get published. Who knows? Maybe those French like novels like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, translators get paid lots and lots of money. It's not an easy task. It sounds like he is saving a lot of money using you. He better give you a fabulous paycheck once he starts paying you. When I was an intern at at ad agency I was pretty much their hired "moving help" (since we were moving to a new office) except I didn't get paid. I worked from 9-6 pm packing boxes, lifting heavy furniture, cleaning cabinets. It sucked ass. Then to top it off my boss came up to me at the end and handed me a Starbucks card: "Here" he said. "For all your help. You were fantastic. I found this Starbucks card on the ground in frony of the office front and thought maybe there is some money on it". I couldn't find any words. I said "Thank you"

silver screen pipe dreams said...

Haha! Tha's horrible! A Starbucks card found on the ground? What was he thinking? You don't tell someone that!
I don't think bosses understand the concept of "intern" these days. (see my post today.)
I will definitely ask for payment for this if we ever get paid.