Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Road Less Travelled Gets Me Lost

I got to work today and our phones had been cut off. Thanks, Shylock, for not paying the phone bill. Why does this blog seem to have become all about his failings? I honestly don't care about him at all but he seems to weasel his way in.

Lately I've been thinking about writing more and more as I've said. I went back and began the re-edit process on my first (and so far only completed) script. I have new ideas all together and I'm hoping to salvage some of it and start new. Similar plot, new twists.
I was working at the Tavern and wondering whether I should just do that and write. Just work an easy, non time consuming job and write in my spare time. I like working at a restaurant because it inspires me. You come into contact with such different sorts of people that all have stories and act so differently while doing a basic thing and it makes my hand itch for a pen and paper. I've started carrying a notebook around with me to record little moments.
And at the same time there is a pull that says I should stay at a production sort of job because it will help me in the long run. Contacts and all that sort of thing. I know that is the responsible way to do it but since when have I been responsible and done things normally?
I'm always trying to figure out a way to worm out of the straight and narrow path and take the path less traveled. But it doesn't often help me. Oh, it might be pretty and interesting for a while and in the distance it's golden green but as soon as I start down the path I get stuck in mud and ruin my favorite pants and then get tangled up in briars that scratch my arms and cheeks. And after awhile I'm lost and the sun is going down and I'm hungry and wet and dirty and just want to find the path that has all my friends on it to keep me company. I've done this so many times before that now I can't tell which are the real roads less travelled that would 'make all the difference' and the ones that are dead ends.
So, I'm stuck not knowing which way to turn and what to do. The sad thing is, I'm only 23. I shouldn't feel this rushed to get things done. Earlier on in the summer I was full of optimism about the possibilities and now I'm just confused by too many. I think I can trace it back to this job and the possibility that it won't work out. I'm okay with that. I have other options that I would like to persue. But what if it does work out? Will I be stuck here for ages doing something I don't like just for the opportunity to do something I do? If we do continue should I continue too? I mean, we might get the chance to move up to Toronto, which would be awesome, but do I want to continue with this company even if it is in Toronto? And is this even a question to get stuck on, seeing as it might not be fulfilled at all? And what if this job gets me stuck in a life I hate but I'm too afraid to change it and I've missed out on all the freedom of taking other paths and travelling to different countries? I'm jumping the gun already.

No comments: