Friday, September 01, 2006

I'm Going For Broke

Some people might say "you just started this blog. You should go slow so you don't run out of steam too quickly." To them I say, "Fuck you." I'm going all out and if I fall flat on my face just before I get to the tickertape then too bad! Cause I'm not much of a runner anyway.
I think I just over-extended that metaphor.

I started this internship back at the end of June and ever since then my mom has been bugging me to start journaling this. Mining the goldmine of shit that is my life. So I will begin at the beginning.

It was a dark and stormy night...

There were once four young, eager interns. They were eager to begin their careers in film and eager to make their mark on the industry. We had Indieflickers, a talkative lesbian with a quick tongue and big heart who gets excited at the thought of her favorite actresses and movies; Euroboy, an artsy, young-faced intellectual who has seen the world and all of its dark sides too; Christ with a Y and me, a girl with a pipe dream about the silver screen.
The first day we sat around in a grimy office building without AC or chairs and talked. We didn't know what was in store for us or even if it was just a big joke. We looked at the cheesy movie posters and wondered what our future held. We talked about our favorite movies and what we did before coming here and how our interviews went. We compared notes. We became instant friends.
That friendship would come in handy over the next few days when we cleaned out the office, put together desks and chairs and office dividers and wrestled with phone companies for phone service and internet service.
Unfortunately Euroboy had brought back an illness from Paris with him. He left us after about a month to get better. I still miss him.
Indieflickers took over casting and got to call her favorite actresses' agents and chat with them and send them scripts. When she hangs up the phone we shout and dance around, amazed that these people will answer our phone calls and even call us back. We can't quite believe it's happening.
I was sad to see two of my favorite actors (Johnny Cash and Chaucer, anyone?) get dropped from our "Wall of Talent" for different reasons. I wanted them here so much but when we were talking about it I couldn't believe that either of them might be considered so I didn't even allow myself to think it.
Sometimes I want to pinch myself. How did I get involved in this? Was it really as easy as answering an ad in Craigslist? Will it really happen? Will our own personal Shylock* stand in our way as we work towards a studio deal because he doesn't know what he's doing and won't take a percentage cut so we can hire someone who does? Will I have to break his knees? Will this company fall apart and I'll have to start all over again or will I be able to stay with them and maybe get my own movies made one day? And will they ever pay us so I can stop working nights as a waitress?
So many questions. Stay tuned to see if they get answered.

* no insult to any Jewish people out there. I'm not like that.But he really is Shylock in the flesh. Complete with iambic pentameter and everything.

1 comment:

I R REZOLUT said...

Over-extended metaphors are what blogs are all about.